The opportunities for Africa are as vast as its population, which numbers 1.2 billion people. According to the World Bank, the future is promising and the African continent “is poised to create an entirely new development path harnessing the potential of its resources and people.”
Being locally relevant to your recipients in Africa means paying them in a convenient and cost-effective manner. The key to making sure you’re as locally relevant as possible is to work with a payouts provider with a strong network and a close-to-market strategy. That strategy means that the payments provider will employ professionals on the ground in all the key markets where you want to send funds.
Transpay has such a network in Africa. Let’s take a look at three different countries in Africa to learn more about sending funds in a locally relevant manner.
Located in West Africa, Nigeria is the continent’s most populous nation, with nearly 191 million inhabitants. When it comes to receiving payments from U.S.-based businesses, Nigerian freelancers, sellers, publishers and more show a preference for Local Bank Transfers over traditional methods such as bank wires or picking up cash. In part, that’s because the Nigerian government has put a cap on the amount of funds that can be received in cash, so many people are shifting to Local Bank Transfers. And although prepaid cards and e-wallets are used commonly for domestic money transfers and purchases, they are not popular methods for receiving international payments. Receiving funds into a bank account saves time on the recipient’s part, eliminating the need to stand in lines to pick up cash and is more secure.
Transpay’s proprietary bank network in Nigeria is extensive and growing. Launched in 2011, our network includes all leading banks, such as First Bank of Nigeria, Guaranty Trust Bank, Ecobank Nigeria, FCMB, Fidelity Bank, Skye Bank, Zenith Bank, Heritage Bank, Access Bank and Unity Bank. Transpay’s service levels to Nigeria are best-in-class, and we are able to pay to all of our bank partners and third-party banks in Nigeria either instantly or within a few minutes.
Like Nigeria, Senegal is located in West Africa. In fact, its capital city of Dakar is the most westerly point on mainland Africa. Many Senegalese professionals – including translators, web developers, executive assistants and data analysts – are increasingly doing work via two-sided marketplaces. While cash pickup used to be a preferred method of payment, today, Local Bank Transfers, prepaid cards, and mobile wallet options are more popular. The majority of Senegalese freelancers who work on freelance or e-commerce marketplaces prefer to receive funds into their bank account. Local Bank Transfers are particularly well suited to the Senegal market, as recipients must be paid in the local currency, the West African CFA Franc.
Transpay Local Bank Transfers are sent via direct partnerships with banks and licensed local financial entities. Our extensive and growing network in Senegal includes key payout partners such as leading banks Ecobank, La Poste, Wari, ATPS (Africa Transaction Processing and Services), Orabank and Citibank. We offer high service levels with instant deposit service to a bank account or mobile wallet. In a country where entrepreneurship is valued, young professionals are excited about the digital economy and its opportunities, Local Bank Transfers are an important payment option for any U.S. company looking to do business in Senegal.
Kenya, in Eastern Africa, is home of vast savannahs and incredible wildlife from giraffes to elephants. It’s also the home of M-Pesa, the world’s leading mobile money service. Some 93% of Kenya’s population has access to M-Pesa, and the service accounts for nearly half of the country’s $75 billion GDP.
It’s no surprise that more than 80% of gig workers in Kenya say they would rather be paid via M-Pesa than any other payment method. And in fact, between 70% and 80% of the funds that Transpay and its parent company, Transfast, send to Kenya goes into mobile wallets. Of the remaining 20% to 30%, most of those recipients choose to receive their money instantly into their bank accounts. Transpay sends funds into M-Pesa accounts instantly, 24/7, and can send funds to all bank accounts in Kenya.
Looking to pay recipients in Africa? To learn how Transpay helped the United Nations Federal Credit Union solve for M-Pesa in Kenya, check out our case study.